Missouri Wines has announced the date for the MVP Extravaganza, the ultimate reward for the most dedicated MVP members, that will take place on March 24, 2018. The evening will feature gourmet food and wine pairings, plus the opportunity to engage with the owners and winemakers from many of Missouri's award-winning wineries. This experience requires 50,000 points. Register at missouriwinemvp.com. Deadline to redeem points: January 31, 2018.
Missouri Wine Program Quarterly Sweepstakes
Enjoy a weekend getaway in Excelsior Springs!
Win a fabulous weekend getaway in scenic Excelsior Springs. You and a guest could enjoy an all-inclusive Wine Trolley Tour. The tour includes gourmet brunch paired with wine at Willow Spring Mercantile, transportation aboard the trolley, a souvenir wine bag and full-tasting experiences at three wineries, including Fence Stile Vineyards and Winery. Then relax, renew and rejuvenate during an overnight stay at the beautiful Inn on Crescent Lake, Kansas City's most romantic getaway. This MVP experience is brought to you by the Inn on Crescent Lake and the Excelsior Springs Chamber of Commerce.
During your stay in Excelsior Springs, explore the town's other attractions, including the Hall of Waters, Elms Hotel, Excelsior Springs Museum and Superior Well Pavilion. This historic area of the town is located along the East Fork of Fishing River with winding stream valleys leading into the river and hills. Explore more than 90 acres of parkland and walking trails within the city limits. Golf enthusiasts may wish to check out the Excelsior Springs Golf Course.
By redeeming 500 MVP points for this reward, you will be entered for a chance to win. The total estimated value of this reward is $400. The entry for this sweepstakes will close on 11:59 p.m. CST on Wednesday, February 28, 2018. The winner will be notified on Thursday, March 1, 2018.
Wineries on the Wine Trolley Tour include Fence Stile Vineyards and Winery, Four Horses and a Dog Vineyard and Winery, and Van Till Family Farm Winery. Winery Trolley Tours run the 2nd and 4th Saturday of each month, starting April 28 through November 10. For the best date selection, winner will need to select the date and finalize their reservation by May 15, 2018.
A Fence Stile gift certificate makes the perfect gift for the wine enthusiast in your life. Whether you treat a spouse, partner, family member, friend, or co-worker, a gift certificate is versatile and thoughtful. Remember, the gift certificate may be purchased now and used at a later time.
Visit our Tasting Room, call 816-500-6465, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to purchase a Fence Stile gift certificate.
Gift Ideas at Fence Stile
• Fence Stile gift certificates may be used toward the cost of a guided winery and wine cave tour ($35/person) or other shopping at the
• Purchase and bundle the gift certificate with a bottle of Fence Stile's red, white, or sparkling wine to add to the experience.
• Our tasting room also has stocking stuffers, such as Champagne bottle openers and stoppers, wine bottle gift bags, and bottle sealers designed to keep oxygen out. Add these wine-related goodies and a gift certificate to your gift package. It's a classy gift for any wine-loving recipient. Our team can help assemble a customized Fence Stile wine gift bag along with a gift certificate.
• The Elms Hotel and Spa, located two miles from Fence Stile in downtown Excelsior Springs, is another way to create a luxurious gift package combined with a Fence Stile gift certificate. After all, The Elms operates a shuttle to and from the winery upon request. Surprise someone with a hotel stay and a reason to visit Fence Stile with a gift certificate in hand.
• Pair a Fence Stile gift certificate with an autographed copy of author Pete Dulin's new book, Expedition of Thirst: Exploring Breweries, Wineries, and Distilleries Across the Heart of Kansas and Missouri. This travel guidebook covers regional wineries in eastern Kansas and western Missouri.
To obtain a Fence Stile gift certificate, simply visit our Tasting Room, call 816-500-6465, or email us at email@example.com.
Fence Stile procured three whiskey barrels from J. Rieger & Co. before Thanksgiving 2017 and filled them with Norton wine for aging. The barrels are stored in Fence Stile's one-of-a-kind wine cave (which may be viewed on a guided tour).
J. Rieger & Co. was originally established in 1887 by Jacob Rieger in Kansas City's West Bottoms. Andy Rieger, Jacob Rieger’s great-great-great grandson, and Ryan Maybee re-opened the distillery in 2014 . In short order, the distillery has earned acclaim for its whiskey, gin, vodka, and other spirits.
Seeking to expand its barrel-aging program, Fence Stile leaped at the opportunity to work with this historic distillery and obtain barrels used for aging spirits. The barrels were originally owned by Heaven Hill, a Kentucky distillery, for aging their bourbon and then by MGPI for corn whiskey before J. Rieger bought them. The barrels had the first whiskey in them for four years at Heaven Hill and at the latter distillery for 10 years. J. Rieger aged corn whiskey in the barrels next and emptied them in late November 2017.
Char from the barrels, made from white American oak per federal law, the oak itself, and the prior spirits will impart flavor and aroma to the Norton wine. Typically, whiskey barrels often impart notes of vanilla and caramel to its contents. It's tempting to lean in, breathe deep, catch aromas from the barrel exterior, and imagine what the results will be.
At this stage, it remains to be seen how the Norton will interact with the barrel and what qualities it will absorb in its character. Each barrel is unique with its own characteristics. Depending on the results of aging, wine from each barrel may be blended in a specific ratio to produce the most desirable results. Careful monitoring, tasting and testing over time will help determine how the wine evolves and when it will be ready for bottling and release.